The Jewish Genealogy Association
Comparison chart compiled by Denis Levy
The city called "City of Paille", or Strohstadt in German, had a very
ephemeral existence. Situated on an island in the Rhine, it was built
in 1680 by the French after they took possession of the fortress of Breisach.
Its real name was at first Ville-Neuve-de-Brisach, then later on Saint-Louis-les-Brisach.
In 1697, under the Treaty of Rijswijk, it was entirely destroyed and dismantled: omnino fragmented and solo aequabitur.
See GenAmi No. 17 (September 2001)
Jews settled there, mostly coming from nearby villages on both banks of the river, and a community was founded in 1692.
The table below lists these Jews at different times. The sources are: